Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Revenue Agency was unable to accept your NETFILE tax return. It's my first time filing my taxes, what;s causing this error?

1 Reply

Canada Revenue Agency was unable to accept your NETFILE tax return. It's my first time filing my taxes, what;s causing this error?

There could be various reasons why Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) was unable to accept the NETFILE tax return. Some common reasons include:

1. Errors in the personal information provided: Check if you have entered your name, address, and Social Insurance Number (SIN) correctly. Even a small mistake can prevent CRA from accepting the return.

2. Missing or incorrect information: Ensure that you have entered all the necessary information such as income, deductions, and credits correctly. Also, check to see if the information you have entered matches your supporting documents, such as T4s or receipts.

3. Technical issues: There could be technical issues with the software you are using to file your taxes, or problems with the CRA’s servers that caused the filing to fail. Try filing again after some time or using a different software.

4. You are not eligible to file using NETFILE: Certain taxpayers such as non-residents, taxpayers who filed for bankruptcy, or those with previous tax-related issues may not be eligible to file using NETFILE. In this case, you can file your return by mail or with the help of a professional tax preparer.

If you are still unable to determine the cause of the error, you can call CRA's helpline at 1-800-959-8281 for assistance.