Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian first year in US college

My son is a student is attending a US college.  He received a scholarship and his school sent him a 1098-T form.  He does no income, he has a student loan and line of credit.  Does he file taxes in Canada and the US?  If anyone knows how to file taxes in the US as a Canadian please share as well...

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your son has a student loan and line of credit. He should file a Canadian tax return. When he begins to repay these loans, he will be able to deduct their interest on your tax return. However, if he takes out additional student loans from foreign institutions, he will not be able to deduct their interest on his future tax returns.

For more information, please see our TurboTax link as Filing Taxes When You Study Abroad

Thank you for using TurboTax

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your son has a student loan and line of credit. He should file a Canadian tax return. When he begins to repay these loans, he will be able to deduct their interest on your tax return. However, if he takes out additional student loans from foreign institutions, he will not be able to deduct their interest on his future tax returns.

For more information, please see our TurboTax link as Filing Taxes When You Study Abroad

Thank you for using TurboTax

Thank you for the response, 

How do you file it if there is no income or T4s?  There is a US form he received...can I file on Turbo Tax?  I called a US accounting firm and their answer was clear as mud.  Thanks!