Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurT123
Returning Member

Carrying Losses Backward and T1A form

Hi, I tried to get this specific answer is a previous question but I hope I can get it here if I'm more precise. I understand in turbotax online premier the way to carry back capital losses to apply them to a previous years gains is via the following the steps:

Note: A net capital loss can only be carried back to reduce taxable capital gains in any of the three prior years. Any available taxable capital gains will be shown on your prior year’s Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment.

1. Select Find and enter losses in the search bar
  2. Select Losses from the search results, then Go
  3. Select the Request for Loss Carryback box
  4. Select Continue until you reach the Net Capital Loss Carrybacks screen
  5. The maximum net capital loss that you can carry back is listed. Enter the amount(s) you wish to carry back for each applicable year, then select Continue
  6. You've now carried back your net capital loss. Your carryback amounts won't affect this year's tax return

Can someone please confirm, if I complete the steps in turbo tax outlined above  and send my taxes to the CRA via TurboTax online, will the CRA get the details to create my refund from the tax year I applied the loss against or do I have to also print out a T1A form and send it in.  Can someone please let me know. 

Thank you.

3 Replies
TurT123
Returning Member

Hi again. Can someone throw me a bone here and give me a answer. Thanks.

Gaoolol
Returning Member

Hey TurT,

I have the exact same question. It's unclear if I need to print out the T1A and do this separately or if this is already included in TurboTax.

Can a TurboTax representative respond to this, please? Or someone that has done it before!

Sidenote: My T5008 was in USD so I had to convert everything to CAD when filing. I found this out AFTER submitting so now I need to do a ReFILE :(

Gaoolol
Returning Member

Ah, I saw the reply here: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/filing/discussion/net-capital-loss-carrybacks-not-see..., which is your post as well.

For future readers of this question, Moderator TurboTaxGinette said "Your T1A Request for Loss Carryback will be included with your return and the Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) will reassess your past according to your request from there."

Thanks