Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
27trofim
Returning Member

CCB and Q.C. Family allowance

Hi All,

I am divorced and have shared custody over 2 kids(8 and 10), the issue I have is that when I fill at the end I get CCB and Family allowance 100% when I should get only 50% (I double verified and all the info I put is correct.)

Anyone else having same issue or know how to fix?

Thanks,

4 Replies

You can both enter your children as dependents and then answer the question- is anyone else claiming them- put YES under the specific child that the other spouse is claiming.  This will split the child tax benefit. According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), when custody is shared equally, both parents may be eligible to claim the Child Tax Credit. However, if both parents attempt to claim the credit for the same child in the same year, the CRA will generally allow only one parent to receive it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

27trofim
Returning Member

Hi Brenda- 

I am using Turbotax Online :

I don`t see this question: then answer the question- is anyone else claiming them- put YES 

I entered both as dependents however the question for claim was not there?

Thanks,

27trofim
Returning Member

if you referring to question below, I did input 2 and 2 but still does not look correct...

Other information needed to calculate the credit:

Number of children living with you and for whom you received family allowance from Retraite Québec

Number of children for whom the family allowance was determined based on shared custody -2

If you both agreed on each claiming a child- then only one child will be entered as your dependent on your tax return. 

Thank  you for choosing TurboTax.