Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining spouses medical with mine - which option and can I just put summary of total?

I have a printout from my company's insurance company with the line items and totals for both my husband and me for all prescriptions and dental together.

In TurboTax, it only has the option of prescription, etc., without dental.

What options do I put in and can I just put in the total of both my husband and mine of what we spent out-of-pocket?

7 Replies

Combining spouses medical with mine - which option and can I just put summary of total?

@lilsal-bata 

Are you using TurboTax Online or the Desktop version?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi I'm using online version

Hello - just following up if someone can assist so I can complete my filing.

Thank you!!

In the Online version, you can't put the Summary of all totals. You will enter your receipts and add the dental under "Other", once all your receipts have been entered TurboTax will tell you who would be best to claim your medical expenses. You should be entering what you have paid out of pocket and not what was already paid for you. 

Oh my goodness... I have over100 since my husband has regular scripts.... that's going to be difficult...

ok thank you for letting me know

@lilsal-bata 

Due to the large number of your receipts, you can combine all dental expenses and enter them at once under the "other" category. Similarly, combine all other prescription receipts and enter them at once under the "prescription" category.

Ok great thank you! Phew! Much appreciated!