Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madbuzz54

Do i require 2 tax returns to be file, my wife passed away February last year? Can I use deluxe online edition to do so?

1 Reply

Do i require 2 tax returns to be file, my wife passed away February last year? Can I use deluxe online edition to do so?

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. As for your question, your personal tax return and your wife's final return will be done separately and yes, you can use our TurboTax Online Deluxe edition to do so.

In terms of your personal tax situation, if you were married to your wife at the time of her passing, you may be able to claim certain credits and deductions on your tax return, such as the eligible dependant credit or medical expenses for your spouse's final tax return. You may also need to report any income you received as a result of your spouse's passing, such as life insurance proceeds.

In case of your wife's final returnWhen someone passes away, that person’s legal representative (executor or estate administrator) has to file a final income tax return and any other required returns. There are three types of deceased returns that might be filed after death. The legal representative has to file at least one return called the Final Return. However, it’s possible to file multiple returns after death, which include Optional Returns and the Trust returns. Report income earned after the Date of Death (DOD) on a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return

You can file your return with TurboTax Online. However, if you feel a bit overwhelmed, consider TurboTax Live Full Service and have one of our tax experts do you return from start to finish.

For more information, please refer to TurboTax FAQs page:

Filing a Final Tax Return

Your Responsibilities as the Legal Representative of a Deceased Person

Deceased Tax Returns in Canada: What to Do When Someone Has Passed Away

Deceased Returns: The Final Return

Also, The Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) page: Preparing Returns for Deceased Persons 2022

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.