Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mama_2_Girls
Returning Member

Family member died 7 days before the end of the year. 1 return or 2?

Hello all,

My friend's mother-in-law died on December 23, 2021. She's preparing the returns for her family as she does every year, but we have some confusion around the FINAL RETURN. Does she file a return on Netfile as per usual for January 1, 2021 - December 23, 2021, and then file a second return checking off that the individual (her mil) is deceased and then mail that return as the Final return OR does she only file one return (the Final Return by mail) for the 2021 tax year?

I hope my question is clear and thank you!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Mama_2_Girls
Returning Member

I ended up getting on with CRA (hold for an hour and a half, haha) and got my question answered. The only return that needs to be filed (by mail with receipts and such attached) is the Final Return. IF all information isn't available or the estate has a lot of parts to be finalised then you have 1 year from DOD to file a TRUST Return. CRA requires that a form is on file with the government from the Executor of the Estate (listed in the deceased's Will) in order to allow for any communication with the CRA about the deceased's file.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Mama_2_Girls
Returning Member

I ended up getting on with CRA (hold for an hour and a half, haha) and got my question answered. The only return that needs to be filed (by mail with receipts and such attached) is the Final Return. IF all information isn't available or the estate has a lot of parts to be finalised then you have 1 year from DOD to file a TRUST Return. CRA requires that a form is on file with the government from the Executor of the Estate (listed in the deceased's Will) in order to allow for any communication with the CRA about the deceased's file.