Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan-l8s3e1
Returning Member

Filing a 2020 missed return for someone who died in 2022

Hi,

I've the executor for my father who died in 2022.  I recently discovered that his 2020 return wasn't filled properly.   The same situation existed for my mother and I was able to file her 2020 return using NETFILE successfully.   When trying to do the same for my father NETFILE is not accepting the filing for 2020 and indicates I need to print and mail it in.   I'm pretty sure I'm just not doing the right thing in TurboTax 2020 to be successful.  Any pointers or help would be appreciated.

5 Replies

We're sorry to hear about the passing of your dad.

If your dads 2020 return was already filed- you would need to make sure you Refile and not just try to file again - in order to be able to file it. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dan-l8s3e1
Returning Member

Thanks.   I spoke with the CRA and they say the taxes for 2020 were never filed for my dad in terms of what they see.  So this would be a first filing of his 2020 taxes.   I have the NETFILE Code from the CRA to use and they indicated that I should be able to electronically file them for 2020 since he was alive at that time.  It's just that I don't know if I need to say I'm filing for a deceased person or if I need to change the home address.  They used to get autodeposit but their accounts are closed out now and I need the cheque to come to me.  I read somewhere that I have to change his first name to "The Estate of the" and lastname to "late Andre Trottier" but do I need to change the address so the cheque comes to me?   I did this for my mother as she passed away just a month prior to my father and somehow was able to netfile her 2020 returns in 2022 properly.

Thanks for the guidance.

Dan

You can't say that you filing for a deceased person when completing  his 2020 tax return because he wasn't deceased at the time, however you can do exactly what you did when you filed  your moms return. Once the return is filed, the CRA will know that he is deceased and if  you are the executor and they are aware of it, from what you will put down as "name" yes, put your address and they should send you a check if any funds are owing to your dad. 

Did  you complete his final return? 

How do I file a final return for someone who has passed away?

dan-l8s3e1
Returning Member

Hi Brenda,

I did file my fathers final tax return as well as my mom's earlier this year.   I believe I filed her 2020 missing return prior to filing her final return.  Perhaps this is why filing my dad's missing 2020 return isn't working this time?

I can't change my dad's first name to "Estate of the" and lastname to "late Andre Trottier" because TurboTax 2020 then believes that I'm creating a tax return for a new person and the information and entered amounts for my dad's return all blank out. 

I also saw that I might have to install any updated to TT 2020 because the CRA may reject NetFile is TT is not updated.   It wasn't a problem for Net Filing my mom's return.  I also didn't change her name but rather I believe I just updated her address information to be my home address. 

I may have to call the CRA again and see what added details they could provide around the problem in trying to NetFile this.

Thanks for your help so far.  If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Regards,

Dan

Yes, if his final return has already been filed you will need to contact the CRA to see how they want you to proceed.