Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing for 2023 when spouse passed in 2024

I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer to this question...

My spouse passed away in February 2024...  when filling out the returns for 2023, if I answer the question "are you filing a return for a deceased person?" with "yes" it seems to assume she passed in 2023.

I thought since she was alive the entire tax year 2023 I could fill everything out like usual for last year but would not be able to E-File hers,  and file her final return next year?

4 Replies
Mok1253
Returning Member

I am in the same boat. Waiting for this reply on whether to file 2023 e-file separately and 2024 as final return. Searched the web but cannot find answer.

We are sorry to hear about the passing of your spouses. 

Yes, if they passed away in 2024, you will complete the 2023 tax returns stating that you are married as a regular return. When you file the final return, you will enter their date of death and update your marital status to widow.  

If you haven't already, contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to advise them of the date of death of your spouse. They will also be able to advise you on the easiest way to complete the return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

thank you so much.   that is very helpful.  Will I still be able to efile her 2023 return or will I have to print and mail it?

Yes, you can NetFile the 2023 return, however, her final return must be mailed in.  Contact the CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281 to advise of her passing so that they don't give you more tax credits than allowed and end up having you pay them back.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.