Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign income understanding

I'm trying to make sure I understand the process when filing a return with foreign income.  In 2023 I had a contract that was delivered in another country.   The contact was for an after tax daily rate paid in Canadian dollars.  As an example, for a after tax value of $10,000 and a 15% foreign income tax rate, the gross payment would be $11,765 with foreign tax of $1,765.

What I am seeing in TurboTax when I enter these values is the tax credit of $1,765, which is what I expected.  I am also seeing more Canadian tax being deducted, which I did not expect.  Is that because my Canadian tax rate is more than 15% and I am being taxed on the difference between what I paid in foreign tax and my Canadian rate?  Or something else altogether?  Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You are correct, it is likely that your income tax rate is higher in Canada, meaning that you should have paid more tax on that income than you did, so the difference between what you should've paid and what you've actually paid to the other country would be your Canadian income tax payable.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are correct, it is likely that your income tax rate is higher in Canada, meaning that you should have paid more tax on that income than you did, so the difference between what you should've paid and what you've actually paid to the other country would be your Canadian income tax payable.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.