Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmwidd
Returning Member

GST/HST on vacation rentals

Hi Community,

My spouse and I are co-owners of a vacation property so that we can split the rental income.  I understand that there is a $30,000 GST/HST exemption limit.  Question is, does this limit apply to each co-owner separately or does it apply to the entire net rental amount?  For example, let's assume we earned $50,000 in net rental income...that would be $25,000 each.  Are we both exempt from GST/HST in this situation?

Thanks!

1 Reply

GST/HST on vacation rentals

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) General Information for GST/HST Registrants

You are a partnership or a corporation and the total amount of all revenues (before expenses) from your worldwide taxable supplies and those of your associates (if they were associated at the beginning of the particular calendar quarter), is $30,000 or less in any single calendar quarter and in the last four consecutive calendar quarters. 

You must register for the GST/HST. Your effective date of registration is no later than the day of the supply that made you exceed $30,000. You have to start charging GST/HST on the supply that made you exceed $30,000. You can visit this  Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link  When to register for and start charging the GST/HST 

To find out more about the $30,000 exemption, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.