Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Intuit addressed the issue of extra lines in form T1135 for the 2023 TurboTax download version?

TT has never been able to provide me with enough lines.  What I have had to do every year is download the fillable PDF from CRA, complete this fillable form manually (which is essentially all you do with TT), print the fillable-PDF off, sign the printed CRA-original (not TT) form, mail it through Canada post and hope it makes it.  Unfortunately I purchased TT-2023 desktop, and my workaround this year was to subsequently buy Ufile-2023 desktop (which allowed me to enter all 8 lines in section 2) and I will Ufile to submit my T1 & T1135 this year.

What has been frustrating is that TT was not transparent with this limitation.  They indicate you can use the product to submit a T1135, but don't indicate that their download/desktop version has this limitation.  Have provided this as feedback every year.  Nothing but crickets.

I am comfortable with desktop/download certified software as it keeps all sensitive information on my PC and not in a central DB (will no use on-line).

strayfrog_ca
Returning Member

Has Intuit addressed the issue of extra lines in form T1135 for the 2023 TurboTax download version?

Thanks @allymcbeal, this answers my question. Snail registered mail with the fillable PDF or start over with Ufile (or other software that fully supports the form for netfile).

If tax information is going to get truncated into the final version of the form, it shouldn't be possible to enter it in the software in the first place. I agree it mines confidence in the overall product.

Whatever the update between when I installed TT2023 early this year (when only 3 lines were shown in both the interview and form methods), and since the last update (when 3 lines still shown in the interview method, but 5 lines appear in the forms method), I don't know how much testing has been done between these releases.  The update seems rushed, and I would not depend on it.

Specifically, when I add the 5 lines using the forms method, I can save it, and the lines remain when I recall it.  BUT when I switch back to the interview method, when I get to the T1135, with section 2 only the first 3 lines entered are displayed on the interview panel, and the following message appears below:

You entered a maximum cost during the year that's lower than the cost at year end. Check this box to acknowledge this is correct.

As such, one cannot tell if this will process correctly.

Again, unless TT support gives a statement saying it is ok to use, then I would not use it.

I used QuickTax for 2007 thru 2009, and TurboTax for 2010 thru 2022.  As mentioned, I will only use download/desktop software, and I no longer want to mail in a T1135 separately.  As such, will be using Ufile for 2023 (unfortunately also bought TT2023 earlier this year, and wish I had not).  Vainly, I believed they would fix this limitation by now, but it still persists.  The product should indicate that it can only process a very limited T1135, and does not provide the same data-entry capability as the CRA fillable PDF.

The T1135 is more regulatory than tax, everything is manually entered, and TT seems more to check totals, but does not calculate entries.  The ideal thing would be if through MyCRA you could enter your T1135 values there, instead of filling in a PDF, printing it off, mailing it to CRA, and someone in CRA re-enters the contents on the form received into their database.  Tax software (ostensibly) seems to just collect the data and pass it through digitally to CRA.  Unfortunately with TT download/desktop software, its collection of data has a number of lines limitation, and this seems to be the problem we all seem to have encountered, year after year.