Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cayas
Returning Member

How can I file taxes if I am married to a non-resident spouse and spouse has not immigrated to canada yet.?

I got married in Apr 2021 in India and currently I live in Canada and my spouse lives in India (PR sponsorship application in progress).

1. Now if I were to file taxes for 2021 tax year my marital status is "married" how do I file it, individually or jointly.?

2. If I joint-file it, at one point I get a question "did you and your spouse live together in 2021"? what do I enter here?

3. if I enter 000 000 000 as the SIN for my spouse would CRA/revenue-quebec recognize and perceive that my spouse is non-resident.?

4. If I file as a joint return I get a big refund but if I file just individually (and mention that Im married) Im not getting a refund. Why is this..?

5.  At the last step of provincial deductions page, I get an error "invalid SIN" when I enter the quebec related information. So how do I proceed.?

1 Reply
ElusiveTiger
Returning Member

How can I file taxes if I am married to a non-resident spouse and spouse has not immigrated to canada yet.?

I have this same question. My wife is also a non resident spouse. Hopefully someone can chime in.