Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a nonresident with Canadian income who filed a R105 waiver file a tax return?

to best find out what situation you fall under here is the canadian revenu phone number
Phone: 1-800-959-8281
rq1

How does a nonresident with Canadian income who filed a R105 waiver file a tax return?

Hey Lee, thanks for this. I applied for a waiver so didn't have income tax deducted. I definitely do have to file a tax return, I know that. My main question is: When I entered my details into TurboTax I was given a tax liability of 0 CAD, because it was under the basic personal amount. But, it doesn't feel correct that I get the full basic personal amount on a three-week assignment in Canada. Maybe it is, but that's what I was checking.

Example 1

Example of the calculation for the basic personal amount claimed on line 300 of Schedule 1, Federal Tax.

Shirley left Canada on January 26, 2015, to live in another country. She calculates her basic personal amount as follows:

(26 days in Canada ÷ 365 days in 2015) × $11,327 = $806.85

Shirley claims $806.85 on line 300 of her Schedule 1.

This should help sorry you waited so long for your answer mail :smile::smile:
rq1

Thanks for this. Every example I find on prorating is about leaving Canada after being resident, or moving to Canada to become resident, partway through the year. That's a subtle difference from never being resident and just receiving Canada-source funds, right? When I go through TurboTax I set myself up as nonresident, and when it asks me if my resident status changed during the year I say no, so I'm never asked for how many days I was resident for and my basic personal amount is left at $11,327. Is that me being incorrect of TurboTax not handling my situation? Thanks.

that is correct our software is not geared for this , so you would have to calculate yourself and F2(force entry) to change the field or print and then  change
rq1

OK, now I understand. Thank you!

you are very welcome :smile::smile: