Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm the exec for my aunt who died in Dec 2012. How do I file her final return? TurboTax had me use the T1 but the CRA rejected it saying it needs to be a T3, not in TT.

TurboTax knows the date of death and T Slips, directed me to proceed with a T1 filing but the CRA rejects it. There is no apparent T3 return option in TurboTax.
Is there a way to use TurboTax for the final return and why would TurboTax not know better?
3 Replies

I'm the exec for my aunt who died in Dec 2012. How do I file her final return? TurboTax had me use the T1 but the CRA rejected it saying it needs to be a T3, not in TT.

We are sorry for your loss.

Can you please confirm the year that your aunt passed away? As you entered 2012 this is over 10 years ago and TurboTax does not have 2012 software available. 

The best thing to do is call the CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281 so that they can tell you what needs to be completed first.  A T3 return must be complete and TurboTax does not have T3 software, then a T1- final return can be completed using TurboTax.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Oops, that was a typo. Dec 2022 she died, not 2012.

That sounds like a software flaw then - shouldn't TurboTax have told me I couldn't file a T1 for 2023 income on a 2022 death and directed me to use a T3, rather than allowing me to proceed?

Something for your developers to look at.

Thanks for letting me know though Brenda.

Doug.

You're welcome 🙂 Thank you for choosing TurboTax.