Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I started (but did not send off) a spousal return , and now we both want to file an individual return. How can I remove my first set of data, and start a single return

1 Reply

I started (but did not send off) a spousal return , and now we both want to file an individual return. How can I remove my first set of data, and start a single return

To help make sure users don’t accidentally delete a return they’re working on, TurboTax prevents users from deleting their most recent “active” return. So, unfortunately, there is no way to delete a return if there is only one return in the account. 

You can start over with individual returns. Here are the steps to start a new return in TurboTax:

1. Log in to your TurboTax account and go to the "My Returns" tab.
  2. Click on "Start a new return" under the "Your tax returns & documents" section.
  3. Follow the prompts to select the type of return you want to file and enter your personal information.
  4. Continue through the prompts to enter your income, deductions, and credits.

When you start a new return, you will be able to delete the previous spousal return. Here are the steps to remove the spousal return in TurboTax. Click on “My Returns”, then “View All Tax Returns” on the left side menu to see all your returns. Then click on the small trash can icon to the right of the return that you want to delete.

If you need further assistance or have additional questions, you can contact TurboTax customer support for help.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.