Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to file after April 30 if now taxes are due

I am supposed to get a refund, but I need to properly calculate certain expenses that I do not have access to the receipts since I am out of the country. My refund could be higher.
2 Replies

Yes, you can file tax return after due date, but If you don’t submit your tax return on time, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will charge interest on any amounts that you owe, as well as a late-filing penalty. Also, filing late may cause delays to any benefit or credit payments that you may receive, such as the Canada child benefit (CCB) or the GST/HST credit. This Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page has more information on what penalties you will face if you don’t file your tax return on time: Interest and penalties on late taxes

Thank you for using TurboTax.

If you are self-employed, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) gives you a bit longer to submit your income tax return — you do not have to submit it until June 15. 

As you are expecting a refund, you would not have a balance owing to add interest or a penalty to it.

The personal tax filing deadline for your 2022 tax return is May 1, 2023 (since April 30 is a Sunday).

It is possible, however, there may be a penalty depending on your tax return information. If you file your tax return after the due date and have a balance owing, you will be charged a  late-filing penalty. Filing late may also cause delays to your benefit and credit payments.

For more information, you can visit our TurboTax article - Tax Deadline 2023

For more information, you can visit the CRA site - Interest and Penalties on late taxes

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.