Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live in QC, but work in Alberta where only T4 is provided by employer without RL-1

Hello,

I am living in QC and now employed as fully remote where my employer is in Alberta.

I will have only T4 from my employer. For my case, is there any guidance or references to follow? What about RL-1 slip? Things are confusing to me regarding how to file for such as QPP, QPIP, Group insurance, etc. I found some posts but links are broken there and so didn't get much from those posts. Please advise me if anyone can help.

Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Live in QC, but work in Alberta where only T4 is provided by employer without RL-1

Yes, enter the employer's name. Other amounts will have been automatically entered to the RL-1. Continue your return. Later, you will see the page, Your Other Quebec Credits Profile. On that page, check the box 'tax transfer for Quebec residents...'. The next page indicates the maximum amount you can transfer from your Alberta taxes to Quebec.  

Enter an amount here.

Merci d'utiliser TurboImpôt

View solution in original post

7 Replies

When you complete your T4 then go do your RL1- just make sure that you enter your employers name.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Enter employer name, is that all I need to do? TurboTax will handle the rest and all other necessary work?

Could you attach a screenshot where I need to put my employer name in RL-1 slip section?

Thanks.

Yes, enter the employer's name. Other amounts will have been automatically entered to the RL-1. Continue your return. Later, you will see the page, Your Other Quebec Credits Profile. On that page, check the box 'tax transfer for Quebec residents...'. The next page indicates the maximum amount you can transfer from your Alberta taxes to Quebec.  

Enter an amount here.

Merci d'utiliser TurboImpôt

Thanks for your answer.

From the "Tax Transfer For Residents of Quebec" page, what amount should I enter? For example, in the screenshot, can I just put max value, which is $40000?

Yes, when you get to the page 'Tax Transfer For Residents of Quebec' the amount over the box that indicates The total income tax deducted is from your own employment. Enter that amount in the box and TurboTax will calculate 45% of that amount to be transferred to Quebec. You can check that amount on line 43800 of your federal return. 

For example in the screen shot: $40 000.00 is the total income tax paid outside Quebec. If we had entered $40 000.00 in the box, an amount of 18 000.00 which is 45% of $40 000.00 would be found on line 43800 of the federal return. 

Thank you for choosing Turbotax

So this case after completing filing, I would get income tax return 55% from Alberta (because 45% will be transferred to Quebec), and then I should pay this returned amount from Alberta to Quebec. Is that how it works?

Thanks!

Because you are a resident of Quebec and can access Quebec government services (hospital, police, health insurance, etc) the income tax you pay while being employed outside Quebec, can be transferred back to your own province, Quebec. This link to Revenue Quebec will explain in more details what the transfer is about: TRANSFERABLE PORTION OF THE INCOME TAX WITHHELD FOR ANOTHER PROVINCE. 

You would not necessarily get 55% of income tax return from Alberta. 

The income tax you pay for working outside Quebec can be transferred back so that you can benefit from Quebec government services. That is the purpose of the 45% transfer. The other 55% stays in the other province. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax