Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tanya1234

Motor Vehicle Expeses

Hello,

My job requires a motor vehicle in order to perform my duties. My company provides a gas card (not a taxable benefit) and monthly car allowance (received T2200 form). Under the Motor Vehicle Expenses Summary, what can I claim for?

Thank you,

T

2 Replies

Motor Vehicle Expeses

Your T2200 lists the approved vehicle expenses by your employer. You must file a T777 (Statement of Employment Expenses form) along with your return to calculate your allowable employment expenses. 

You can claim any of the following expenses only if they are approved by your employer:

• fuel (gasoline, propane, oil)
  • maintenance and repairs
  • insurance
  • license and registration fees
  • capital cost allowance (CCA)
  • eligible interest you paid on a loan used to buy the motor vehicle
  • eligible leasing costs

If you are eligible, you can claim these by filling out the Employment Related Driving page of your return. This is located on the page before the Motor Vehicle Expense Summary.

You may also be able to claim a rebate on any GST/HST paid on the vehicle expenses. 

For more information, please see out TurboTax article:

Employment Expenses: What Motor Vehicle Expenses Can You Claim? | 2022 TurboTax® Canada Tips (intuit...

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Motor Vehicle Expeses

Since your employer provides you with a gas card and an allowance, you would only be able to claim expenses that were not covered by what your employer gave you. These must be expenses that you were required to pay for by your employer and shown on your T2200. 

No personal expenses are allowed.

For more information, please follow our TurboTax Article Employment Expenses: What Motor Vehicle Expenses Can You Claim?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.