Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cdenis1

Netfile Error

I keep getting this Netfile error when all the questions are answered correctly for my husbands return, as he had elected not to pay CPP in 2022.  I have copied the screen in question.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Maurice: You have chosen to stop contributing to the Canada Pension Plan on your self-employment earnings; but have not made an election on your employment earnings during the year. You must have made an election on your employment earnings at some point in the year to be able to elect to stop contributing to CPP on your self-employment earnings.

T4A(P) - Summary

This list summarizes your Canada pension plan benefits. If you wish to review or edit an item on this list, click on the applicable item.

Summary for Maurice

Benefit Number
T4A(P) - Box 20

CPP

Edit

/

Delete

Note: Ensure that the amount that appears for Box 20 corresponds to the amount on your T4A(P) slip. See Help if it is not the same.

Self-employment earnings

Maurice, did you have self-employment earnings in 2023?

Yes

Did you complete form CPT30 (as mentioned above) and submit to your employer in 2023?

No

If you have completed the election to stop contributing to CPP with your employer for employment earnings OR you revoked a prior year election, you don't also need to make the election on your self-employment earnings because form CPT30 applies to all types of income including self-employment.

You can however elect to stop contributing to CPP in 2023 OR revoke a prior year election on a month BEFORE the month of the election entered above for form CPT30.
Do you wish to stop contribution to CPP on your self-employment earnings or revoke a prior year election on a month BEFORE the month of the election on form CPT30?

No

I elect to stop contributing to CPP on the first day of this month in 2023

SelectJanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember

I want to revoke an election made in a prior year to stop contributing to CPP on my self-employment earnings and resume contributing to CPP on the first day of this month in 2023

SelectJanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember

Did you elect to stop contributing to CPP on your self-employment earnings in a year prior to 2023?

Yes

Do you want to revoke an election made in a prior year and resume CPP contributions on your self-employment earnings?

No

1 Reply
Moussi2

Netfile Error

This error could come from several forms including your schedule 8. Please contact our Customer Support line at 1-888-829-8608, they will assist you with this matter.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.