Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPtaxes1308
Returning Member

Can I claim medical expenses paid for ultrasounds?

I had gone for an ultrasound before I received my provincial health card and hence I paid it in full. I have the requisition slip from a walk in clinic doctor. Can I use that and claim the amount on the ultrasound invoice?

3 Replies

you should be able to claim it since it was something that a doctor ordered and you went to a medical facility to have it done. Keep the receipt on hand in case you need to show it if you need to show the proof.

You can claim only eligible medical expenses on your tax return if you, or your spouse or common-law partner:

• paid for the medical expenses in any 12-month period ending in 2021
  • did not claim them in 2020. You can find more here  Medical expenses you can claim
  • make sure to keep your receipts in the even the Canada Revenue Agency requires them

This eligible medical expense was found in the Details of medical expenses by the Canada Revenue Agency: "Pre-natal and post-natal treatments paid to a medical practitioner or a public or licensed private hospital."

In Addition, below you can find our article   3 Tips For Claiming Your Medical Expenses as a Tax Deduction  Here are more related information about :

• eligible amount is 3% of your income
  • You are allowed to pick your 12 month period.
  • Which spouse should claim the expense

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

SPtaxes1308
Returning Member

Thank you. I found my medical expense listed under the 'Tests' paragraph of the medical expenses that I could claim. I confirmed this with a CRA customer service agent too that I can claim the cost as I paid more than 90% of it from my own expenses without a private insurer. I also didn't know have a health card that time.