Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qfweiwei
Returning Member

Should I use Adjusted Gross Income or Taxable Income of USA Federal Tax Return 1040 to report foreign income for CRA return?

I am working in USA as employee in 2020. My family is still living in Canada. Should I

1. report my W-2 income as foreign income for CRA return?

2. use Adjusted Gross Income or Taxable Income of USA Federal Tax Return 1040 to report foreign income for CRA return?

3. which TurboTax Online product could help for my case that I am Canadian but working in USA as employee?

Thanks,

Fan

1 Reply

Should I use Adjusted Gross Income or Taxable Income of USA Federal Tax Return 1040 to report foreign income for CRA return?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

1) Yes, you need to report your W-2 income as a foreign income to CRA as you have significant ties with Canada. Visit this site for more information: tax-tip-do-Canadian-citizens-living-in-the-us. 

2) You need to report the gross income for foreign income and foreign tax paid in different boxes. You might eligible for the foreign tax credit as well. Read this article: foreign-income-tax-credit 

3) TurboTax Standard is the best option as you only have employment income. You can start filing for free and then you can pay when you are done.