Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hydradon

Tax of Sale of Shares under Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)

I'm working for a company that has ESPP, so they will keep part of my salary to purchase their stock at a 15% discount. All is handled via E*Trade and in USD. Note that I'm working in Canada and my company also has an office in Canada. Here are the details:
  • Grant Date: 2021, November 1
  • Purchase Date: 2022, April 29
  • Number of Shares purchased: 65
  • Purchase Date FMV: 51.92 USD
  • Discount 15% => actual Purchase Price: 44.13 USD
  • Acquisition Cost: 65 * 44.13 = 2,868.58 USD
My first question is:
(1) I guess the discount is treated as a taxable benefit? which is (51.92 * 65) - 2,868.58 = 506.35 USD => this amount is already included in the T4 slip and in CAD currency by my employer?

Now I also sold all of these shares:
  • Sale Date: 2022, May 11
  • Sale Price: 46.99 USD
  • Proceed (with minor SEC fee 0.02 USD): 46.99 * 65 - 0.02 = 3,054.33 USD
Here is where I'm confused:
(2) It seems like E*Trade calculates the Adjusted Cost Basis to be both the Acquisition Cost (2,868.58 USD) and the Discount (506.35 USD) so it would be 3,374.93 USD So the Gain/Lost would be the Total Proceed minus this ACB = 3,054.33 - 3,374.93 = -320.49 USD Do I need to report this as Capital Lost then (and in CAD) then?
(3) Since I sold the shares shortly after I got it, I guess this is considered a short-term capital gain/loss?
1 Reply
nkaur2
Returning Member

Tax of Sale of Shares under Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)

1) Yes the discount is taxable and would be on your T4.

2) correct - Your ACB should be your acquisition cost + the discount in order to avoid double taxation. Or simply the number of shares x the FMV (51.92 USD) at the time of purchase (which should be the same amount)
3) There is no short term concept in Canada, but yes there would capital gain/loss.
Could you please help with 2.