Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When asking "Net income from the partner's 2022 federal tax return (Line 23600)", does it refer to the past-year summary or the one he has just completed?

Thanks for the help!

3 Replies

When asking "Net income from the partner's 2022 federal tax return (Line 23600)", does it refer to the past-year summary or the one he has just completed?

Net income on Line 23600 refers to one just completed (2022). 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

Jessica-M

TurboTax Support,

In March of 2023, I was preparing my return for 2022 and was not allowed to proceed without providing "Net income from (partner's) 2022 federal tax return (Line 23600)" except my partner had not yet filed, so this information literally did not exist yet. As a result we had to estimate, and luckily we were close, but this should not be necessary. You should not be asking this question if my partner has not yet filed.

Since I will once again be filing before my partner in early 2024, how can I use TurboTax to file my 2023 tax return without answering this question?

Unfortunately, this is an income tax law that you provide the accurate or estimate net income of your partner.

As per the CRA The CRA also uses your net income, and your spouse's or common-law partner's net income if you are married or living common-law, to calculate amounts such as the Canada child benefit, GST/HST credit, social benefits repayment, and certain other credits.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.