Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi. Can i mail my tax return (as this is my first time doing a tax return) but pay online today since I owe money?

At the time of filing, I didn't have the money to pay my tax balance. I thought it would be a simple online payment which is why I left it so late, I didn't realize I would still have to mail it. So if I mail my tax return, can I still pay online today to get it in before the deadline?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi. Can i mail my tax return (as this is my first time doing a tax return) but pay online today since I owe money?

Hello, Once you pay online, you will be able to print and mail your return. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hello, Once you pay online, you will be able to print and mail your return. 

Thank you. So, to be clear, once my balance is paid, I should avoid any late penalties even though I will be mailing my return late?

if the payment is made before April 30th, you won't encounter any penalties.

Yes, but you have to file your return on or before May 1, 2017 to avoid late penalties. If you're mailing your tax return, it needs to be postmarked on or before May 1, 2017.

Please see here for more info:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/ntrst/menu-eng.html

Here are the ways you can make payment on the balance owing to CRA:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/mkpymnt-eng.html