Can I retrieve and save on my computer my tt20 backup file from my 2020 online tax return now that I'm using the cd/download software for my 2021 return?

Getting started

No. TurboTax Online has no way of saving to the .ttxx file format. TurboTax CD/Download can only import or open .ttxx files.

You can still print or download a PDF copy of your TurboTax Online return. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for instructions: In the online edition of TurboTax, how do I print a copy of my tax return?

View solution in original post

Getting started

I appreciate the reply TurboTax Susan. 

Many cloud companies like Google and Microsoft give the option to download an output file in different formats.  In this scenario, what good is a pdf because it can't be imported as you pointed out.

Intuit can re-design their cloud tax programs to permit downloading a ttxx file in addition to the pdf, but they have chosen to not to.  As a long-time Client, that is horrible since it takes control out of my hands!

Getting started

Thank you for your input. I will pass on your comments to our product development team.

Getting started

I thought turbotax kept pdf files of tax returns

Getting started

Yes, a pdf file is created as an output and you can save this to your cloud drive or onto your own device such as a desktop pc.  However, the following tax year, the software that you buy at, say Costco for $30, cannot be used because it needs a .tt21 backup file as input to "start a new return using data from the previous tax year".  Intuit online does not create a .tt21 output file because your tax data is available online for 7 years.  It cost me $180.76 to complete 4 tax returns this year.  Last year it was #29.99 plus taxes for up to 8 returns.  A total cash grab now because it cost money to host all those cloud servers, staff, etc.  I would rather host my own backup .tt21 files for 7 years.

vhodowan

Getting started

Why can't this be allowed?   Is Intuit giong to fix this problem and allow to interchange between Online or CD/downloaded version to obtain your TT20 files and past or future? 

Getting started

Precisely my thoughts!  The answer will be no unless Intuit faces massive backlash from clients like us.

billybee

Getting started

Very disappointing considering the US version allows it.

Getting started

So if I have files from 2014-2019, did 2020 online, I now I have to start from scratch in 2021?

Had I known this, I would not have done the online one last year.

Not impressed.