Self-employed

You should NOT just add the Box135 Amounts together because that messes up your T2209. The CRA wants to know which country you are getting this foreign income from and in my case asked me for a split of USA and for BMU (Bermuda) income box 135 amounts on the slip provided to me by TD Bank.  But there was no current place to make these two box 135 entries. Different countries have different tax treaties and it makes a difference to the CRA.

My subsequent work around given the current T5013 form limitation in the 2020 version of TurboTax was as follows.

Using your paper slip...Lets use USA and BMU 135 amounts for an example.

Enter all the data including source country code and Box 135 foreign income from this USA into the T5013 slip.  Add a seperate T5013 slip for BMU and ONLY enter the Box135 and BMU country code amount on this second T5013.  (ie you have to enter two T5013 slips if you have to report Box 135 income from two countries. The amounts will then properly fill T2209 giving you the proper breakdown of foreign income by country.

The Turbotax form T5013 slip could be vastly improved simply.

Lets assume you are faced with reporting foreign income from 3 countries for Box 135 on the same slip. What I would like to see is this. When you click on Box 135. this should activate a seperate entry screen allowing you to enter the COUNTRY CODE AND FOREIGN INCOME BOX 135 AMOUNT for say countries A, B and C etc.

Basically this will result in additional Box135 Amount and country code columns when end up being reported to T2209 slip. I think the software guys at Turbo tax should make this change, as it is not only me who has had this problem and in my case, it triggered a question from the CRA.