bitsbytes21
Returning Member

Spousal Split? T2125, Business Use of Home Expenses (enter your share of this amount on line 9945 of part 5)

TurboTax (Easy Step) asks for the Business Use of Home expense details to fill out that portion of the T2125, however it does not automatically split this expense with a partner, nor suggest what the user should do if that is indeed the case or even mention that it may be required. TurboTax Easy Step doesn't have a box to enter the share percentage of the use of home expense in the event it differs from the partnership share. In my case, my partner is my spouse and 50/50 business partner, sharing the same home where the home office is located. TurboTax Easy Step has automatically entered the full amount of this expense for each claimant without clarifying it is an other expense of which only the claimants share is deducted, after the net profit/loss of the partnership is calculated.

To correct this, should only one partner claim the whole expense of the home office? Should each partner claim their share by manually splitting the various home expense amounts when they are entered in Easy Step? or should the user go to forms, override and manually enter the split amounts on line 9945 of Part 5 of the T2125 for each claimant.