What is an expense or outlay in T5008?

Self-employed

Outlays and expenses – are amounts that you incurred to sell a capital property. You can deduct outlays and expenses from your proceeds of disposition when calculating your capital gain or loss. You cannot reduce your other income by claiming a deduction for these outlays and expenses. These types of expenses include fixing-up expenses, finders' fees, commissions, brokers' fees, surveyors' fees, legal fees, transfer taxes, and advertising costs.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4037/capital-gains...

View solution in original post

hhokeefe
Returning Member

Self-employed

I have 5 different T5008 info slips and one Outlays and Expenses amount. Do I divide this one figure into 5 to enter on my tax return or as a singular amount on just one return entry in turbotax.

Self-employed

Further to the expenses reported from my Brokerage Firm with a T5008. Do I simply declare all expenses against the capital gains reported on the T5008?

mfb64

Self-employed

why are the questions being asked not being answered by Turbotax?

Self-employed

Well, the original question of "What is an expense or outlay in T5008?" was answered back in 2019.

If you are asking about how to report your outlays & expenses, if you don't want or can't enter them on your T5008, then you can enter your expenses in the Investment Expenses section. Use the “Find” tool 🔍 to search for “invest”. Select “Investment Expenses” from the list and then click the “Go” button.