How can I download my 2016 tax return file (tt2016) if I had used TurboTax online to file? I purchased the software version this year (2017 TurboTax Premier).

Self-employed

Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer information from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/download. TurboTax Online can’t save to the .ttxx format, however you can get a .pdf file with your complete tax return information for you reference. Here is how you can print a copy of your tax return in TurboTax Online: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648070

Self-employed

Thank you for your response. However, that absolutely baffles me. It is the same product, produced by the same company, just under a different platform. I am still a paying customer using either one of those services and it is such an inconvenience. If I had known this limitation I would not have purchased the software version for my family.

It should not be difficult for Turbotax to program a conversion between the online and software platforms. I strongly urge this to be added in the future.