mcross1
Returning Member

Reasonable Moving Expenses

My wife and I moved my son 300 km to a new residence so he could start an internship. We rented a vehicle and we all spent 5 nights in a hotel getting him situated in his new surroundings. I understand all expenses would not be covered. What would be the reasonable expenses for him to claim using the CRA's simplified method for mileage, meals, accommodations etc.

Seniors and students

You will be able to claim your mileage to his new residence, food on the way there and one night stay in a hotel. Just be sure that you keep all receipts.  

Moving expenses

mcross1
Returning Member

Seniors and students

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated! Just wondering if you could explain the logic behind your reply? You indicated 1 night's accommodation. We were required to spend 2 nights in a motel before his new accommodations became available. You indicated mileage, even though we rented a vehicle. You mentioned food on the way there and to keep receipts. We have the receipts for accommodations, CRA accepts a simplified claim(without receipts) of $51/day for meals. How many people can claim the meal expense?

I figured that mileage, one way, at the rate of .57 for Ontario(not the vehicle rental), motel accommodations for 2 nights (until new residence became available) and meals for 3 days @ $51/day(may son only) would be a reasonable claim. That would be $171 for mileage + $180 for motel + $153 for meals totaling $504. This is far less than the actual cost, but, I'm just trying to be fair based on what he's rightfully entitled. Please show me were I might be mislead.

Seniors and students

Those were examples and then I sent you the FAQ to assist you further.

Here is information from CRA on everything you can claim as expenses if your son is a full-time student.