Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcross1
Returning Member

Reasonable Moving Expenses

My wife and I moved my son 300 km to a new residence so he could start an internship. We rented a vehicle and we all spent 5 nights in a hotel getting him situated in his new surroundings. I understand all expenses would not be covered. What would be the reasonable expenses for him to claim using the CRA's simplified method for mileage, meals, accommodations etc.

3 Replies

You will be able to claim your mileage to his new residence, food on the way there and one night stay in a hotel. Just be sure that you keep all receipts.  

Moving expenses

mcross1
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated! Just wondering if you could explain the logic behind your reply? You indicated 1 night's accommodation. We were required to spend 2 nights in a motel before his new accommodations became available. You indicated mileage, even though we rented a vehicle. You mentioned food on the way there and to keep receipts. We have the receipts for accommodations, CRA accepts a simplified claim(without receipts) of $51/day for meals. How many people can claim the meal expense?

I figured that mileage, one way, at the rate of .57 for Ontario(not the vehicle rental), motel accommodations for 2 nights (until new residence became available) and meals for 3 days @ $51/day(may son only) would be a reasonable claim. That would be $171 for mileage + $180 for motel + $153 for meals totaling $504. This is far less than the actual cost, but, I'm just trying to be fair based on what he's rightfully entitled. Please show me were I might be mislead.

Those were examples and then I sent you the FAQ to assist you further.

Here is information from CRA on everything you can claim as expenses if your son is a full-time student.