jk7702
Returning Member

Receiving error in RRSP Contribution section (designated transfer related)

Hi,

Before I get into the details, here is some background on the scenario (the numbers are hypothetical, just to make the example easier to follow):

• I left my prior job
  • The amount in my RPP from my prior job was unlocked, so I decided to transfer that amount directly to my RRSP ($5K).  The transfer of funds was completed and in the RRSP account in the first 60 days of 2020.
  • I also made a regular contribution in first 60 days of 2020 ($7K).

In the RRSP contribution section of the filing:

• One section asks for "Contributions made between January 1 and March 2 (inclusive)."  The total $12K is added here (both the regular contribution and the addition to the account due to the unlocked RPP transfer).
  • A few questions below that, the user is asked "Is this RRSP contribution a designated transfer of eligible income amount? If so, enter the amount that is a designated transfer."  The $5K transferred from the RPP is added in this field.

Then at the end of the process, it provides an error message which states:

• "The amount you designated for transfer to an RRSP cannot be greater than the eligible income reported for transfer."

I believe I am answering the questions correctly, so why is this error occurring?  Rather than unlocking the RPP and receiving a taxed cash payment, it was transferred directly to the RRSP.  This follows the definition of a designated transfer, and from what I understand a transfer between a RPP to RRSP should be noted in the filing, so I am not sure why this error message is appearing.

Please let me know if I am misinterpreting anything.  Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.