dahlia-p

Why do I have to pay to file my taxes just because I am on income assistance?

Last year I filed my taxes for free as usual, with one change, I was on disability for part of the year. This year I was 100% on disability and a popup-up appeared saying that because I am under 25 years old the price of deluxe filing is $15 instead of $25. Of course I don't care because I always select free and it said I could select this option in the payment section. Continued on and no option to select or opt out of the deluxe appeared. I tried this three times and could never find a way to opt out of paying for deluxe. I called the help line and after a long winded conversation (explained the same thing many times in many ways) I took the initiative to start another return to show the call centre the popup page. Only then was I told that because I am on income assistance and have a non T4 slip, I have to get deluxe. This is clearly a new policy this year and I am baffled that the lowest income demographic in Canada (people on disability receive income well below the Canadian poverty line each year) is expected to pay for a previously free service. I personally will not be continuing to use turbo tax, and I will go back to paper returns even though my previous one was lost in the mail and I had to redo it.