Rsdm2022
Returning Member

Troubleshooting

Hi Tara,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Based on your statement "Now we need to know the original CCA you assigned at time of purchase for the class 1 building- this is the value you will enter as the DISPOSITION $ for class 1 to recapture the CCA depreciation and clear out Class 1 in the CCA for the property", I have now a strong sense that I am in the right direction.

I thought in the begiining that the DISPOSITION $ refers to the property sale price.  So when I enter the sale price in the Proceeds of dispostion in T776, my recapture CCA is way too high and does not match what I have claimed in the prior years.

Example (numbers are just random examples):

2008 Condo property purchase price: 337,000
Original CCA: 337,000
Over several years I claimed (aka used) CCAs which totaled to 39,000.
In short, my UCC at start of year (for 2021) is 298,000
2021: Sold condo at 538,000

So in T776, my entries (in the beginning) were like:
UCC at start of year 2021: 298,000
Proceeds of disposition : 538,000 (sale price)
CCA recapture: 240,000 (whoa!!!), this is definitely not correct as I only claimed a total of 39,000 for CCA in the past several years.

From my understanding of what you have explained and from my other readings, I believe this is how it should be:

UCC at start of year 2021: 298,000
Proceeds of disposition : 337,000 (enter the original CCA you assigned at time of purchase, a.k.a. the original capital cost. In the Area E - Column 3, it also provides a clue: the amount of proceeds of dispostion "should not be more than the capital cost".  So defnitely I should not enter the sale price of 538,000).

And therefore the CCA recapture is: 39,000 (Bulls eye !!!). And this CLEAR out (zero out) my CCA balance at the end of the year 2021.

And from my estimation when I completed my tax just now, my owing tax is just about the reasonable range.

Thanks again for your input.  Cheers!