mkn99
Returning Member

Part year non-resident - Leaving Canada- Trurbo Tax desktop bug with respect to departure date

It seems there might bea  bug in the Turbotax Canada Desktop application.  This occurs if you left Canada part way through the year. 

For example let's say you were a Canadian who left Canada to move to another country in Aug of 2023.  During the easystep wizard it asks you "What province/territory did you live in on December 31, 2023.  If you select Non-Resident (as you should to answer the question correctly), the section on the future page "Contact info" is missing the Residency Changes section which is where you need to enter the date you left Canada.  

So the only way I can see to keep the Residency change section is to incorrectly state that you were a resident of a province on Dec 31st.

BTW I did call the contact line for Turbotax and the lady I spoke to was going to take it up with her manager, but couldn't confirm I would get contacted with the outcome.

Another thing is, maybe they don't want you filing a return with Turbotax (printing and mailing since you can't netfile as a non-resident) if you are a part time resident for the year.