sguta
Returning Member

Troubleshooting

As a turbo tax user, I have just encountered this same situation with entering information for my mother.  I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO know whether I am allowed the two amounts....this is something that TurboTax should prompt the user to consider.  How is the user supposed to know that they SHOULDN'T  indicate that the taxpayer is entitled to the disability tax credit during the questioning stage?  Your tax software should have a caution prompt to the user that both the disability tax credit and nursing home costs cannot be claimed.  This response assumes everyone should know this (which everyone doesn't--Turbo Tax help centre staff couldn't explain why this happens.)  I'm fortunate to know that both can't be claimed and looked at the T1 General Return and saw both the disability tax credit and the entire nursing home costs were claimed.  Shame on Turbo Tax for not correcting this (again) in the 2023 version.  Previous versions had the same problems and even though they've been made aware of this, nothing has changed.  Your software is supposed to be accurate....WHICH IT IS NOT!