Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Auto-fill offers to import CRA / Rev QC slips. I got CRA 90+ slips and Rev QC slips auto created by TT. if i now download RQ slips, how will TT not create duplicate sets?

I auto-filled CRA slips. I got CRA 90+ federal slips + another 90 equivalent Rev QC slips auto-generated by the software, as expected.

Then if download slips from Rev QC, how will TT not create duplicate sets? I am tempted to do it to get any Rev QC slips that have no federal equivalent, but too scared to do it and end up with another 180 prov/fed slips that duplicate the ones from the CRA download. 

I cannot imagine the software will not create the duplicates, it would need to know a lot to figure that out.

I have seen some comments about this issue. Who has tested this CRA auto-fill and Rev QC auto-fill and what was the outcome (i.e. double slips, double income, have to go in manually and delete all the duplicates).

The auto-fill should have some guidance about this, maybe something like - "if you are a QC resident, auto-fill from revenu QC only, to get both qc specific slips and auto-generated federal slips; auto-fill from both agencies will result in duplication of slips in TT"

10 Replies

Auto-fill offers to import CRA / Rev QC slips. I got CRA 90+ slips and Rev QC slips auto created by TT. if i now download RQ slips, how will TT not create duplicate sets?

TurboTax does attempt to match your Quebec slips to the federal ones already imported into your return, but 90 slips might be a real test of its limits.

When you import, TurboTax will show you a list of the slips you can import and you can pick and choose what to import and what to discard.

the question is not about quanitites, when you import CRA slips, you create Quebec slips, but what happens when you also import slips from revenu quebec (as suggested by auto-fill). I suspect this will result in double income, double slips (2 sets of provincial and 2 federal) - try doownloading federal slips and then Revenu Quebec slips and let us know; i bet you end up with 2 sets of federal and provincial slips. There should be some guidance for quebec residents before using auto-fill (I suspect if you only download rev quebec slips as a quebec resident you will have everything you need (fed and prov only), if you download both you will have duplicates, if you download only CRA, you will not have QC only slips)

No, they shouldn't double. When you import from Quebec, TurboTax tries to match your Quebec slips to your already imported federal ones.

We just haven't stress tested with 90 slips. It's an extremely uncommon scenario.

Wow, OK that's good to know. So do you mean that if you import all that are presented at the download stage, it would not add the duplicates to the tax return? have you actually tried this or can you ask your r&d team to try with their test accounts, regardless of the number, even if 1 tax slip that's not the issue, the question is what rules does TT use to avoid duplicate imports. Also, 90 slips is not an extreme case. Why? because of the silly T5008, that now exists for every stock transaction, so i have 10 standard slips and 70 T5008s sadly...

Yes, right. TurboTax attempts to match your slips. Anything it's not sure of, it will prompt you to make a decision.
Why not just try it?

I tried it, and got an error FROM TURBOTAX saying  :

We couldn't find any slips or other info for you

Don't worry; we'll help you get the info you have into all the right spots in just a few steps

Note from Revenu QuĆ©bec confirming DL:  

Reference no:   (i'm leaving it out )

Code:   54865  

Message [Information]:   You downloaded your tax data for the first time.

SAME THING SECOND TIME , BUT NOW :  Message [Information]:   Your tax information downloaded has not changed since last download.

So both times, TT showed dialogs that it was connecting and searching the ATR partners and getting income, rrsp data etc., green progress bar going, looked like it was retrieveing data.

At the bottom of the screen, TT displayed "you can choose to keep and save the following" etc,., but nothing showed up, unlike when i did it with CRA.

ALSO, after the Rev QC "invisible download" the income calcultions on my return went from owing -XXXX $ (correct)  before the RQ download, to all zeros (owing nothing), which makes no sense, nothing else was done besides the attempted download from RQ.

To conlude re: this fruitless experience, either there was a internal glitch in TT when it tried to generate or overwite the same slips that it had gotten from CRA from Rev qc,

or it wasnt able to display the imported data for review.

The only thing left to test would be to start a fresh return and try to DL from Rev qc first, and see what happens, but i dont have another 5 hours to play with that.

I'll send you my bill for testing time and QA so far :D. I suggest you ask r&d to test these scenarios with CRA and RQ in various order of download

Please contact Revenu Quebec directly to understand why they're not giving you this error when you attempt to download.

i don'T think there is any error on rev qc side. error message at beg. is generated by turbo tax, not Rev QC. TT is not processing/displaying DL properly?
pttl

TT gives message 'we couldn't find any slips or other info you'. But I can log into CRA MY Account and see all  forms or slips. Please help