Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been earning extra income by commissions the last few years and was never prompted to upgrade to TT Self Employed. Why am I being forced to buy this for my 2021 Return?

I always had the option to continue when being prompted to upgrade, but this time it wont let me continue, unless I upgrade. I had everything I needed to file, for previous years of Self-Employed commission based income. Why is it forcing me to pay 50 bucks just to be able to continue?
1 Reply

Been earning extra income by commissions the last few years and was never prompted to upgrade to TT Self Employed. Why am I being forced to buy this for my 2021 Return?

TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure you have access to the right tools and support specific to your tax needs.

When starting a new return, TurboTax will ask questions about your current tax situation. Based on your return's complexity, you could be directed to a different edition of TurboTax that has all the applicable forms. The product you used in prior years may no longer be available to you as it’s not the most effective solution for your needs.

Don’t worry—if you get started in TurboTax and need to upgrade, the information you already entered will be transferred over. To find out which income, credits, and deductions are included in each edition of TurboTax Online, visit our online tax software page.

For spousal returns, you and your spouse will both be charged the same amount based on the more complicated tax situation.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.