Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sromulus

Can I reverse the upgrade of the Turbo tax fee?

3 Replies

Unfortunately, once you have upgraded or added features to your TurboTax return, there is no way to downgrade or remove the extra features. You would need to create a new return to go back to the original product.

To start a new return, select “Start a New Return” from under “My Returns”. Once you have started your new return, you can select “View All Returns” from under “My Accounts & Returns”, and delete the unwanted return by clicking the small Trash Can next to it.

If you have TurboTax Live Assist & Review, here is how to talk to a Tax Expert: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/navigating-turbotax/help/i-m-using-turbotax-live-assi...

Beware!!!!  When you start a new return, it can and will happen again.  This is not an accident, this is Intuit frustrating customers on purpose.  I have started my return over and over again and funny, I am still being upgraded over and over again.  Finally finished one return, now going through the same BS with a 2nd return.  Shame on you Intuit. 

@rbrown12688 The price of TurboTax Online is based on what you enter on your return. If for example, you keep entering a T4 slip that has self-employment income on it, you will be upgraded to the self-employment version of TurboTax.

The same thing can happen if you transfer your info from last year into the current year return. Again, as an example, if last year you were self-employed, when you transfer your information, it's going to transfer your self-employment info, putting you into TurboTax Self-Employed. 

Perhaps you would prefer to use TurboTax CD/Download, where you can prepare whatever type of returns your want without upgrading, even using Basic?