Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrcool

Can I use an old available unused capital loss and apply that to my 2019 return to eliminate the taxes? how do i go about doing this?

2 Replies

Can I use an old available unused capital loss and apply that to my 2019 return to eliminate the taxes? how do i go about doing this?

Unused capital losses from previous years can be used against capital gains in your 2019 tax return.

The link here will explain how you can deduct capital loss using TurboTax Canada.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

Yes, you can carry back your net capital losses up to three years (or forward to any future year) to reduce taxable capital gains from those other years. Click  here  for more information on carryback of net losses. 

You can also refer to  Losses and How to Claim Them on Your Taxes.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.