Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining 2 Turbo Tax Accounts to do a coupled return

My husband and I each have a Turbo Tax account.  Each year I have to do both returns, then copy data from each to the other. It seems like it would be simpler to do a coupled return, but I cannot figure out how to do that without opening a new account.

Is there a way to use one of the existing accounts to do a coupled return, or do I need to open a new account and manually input the carry forward data from the other two accounts?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will need to open new joint file.  I'm not sure if it will be necessary to manually input the carry forwards for each of your returns.  There will still be two returns to do, but if they are connected, it will be much easier to flip from one spouse to the other.  Some calculations will be done automatically.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You will need to open new joint file.  I'm not sure if it will be necessary to manually input the carry forwards for each of your returns.  There will still be two returns to do, but if they are connected, it will be much easier to flip from one spouse to the other.  Some calculations will be done automatically.

I completed, paid and sent you my Turbo Tax claim already. When I did my husbands it had asked for all my information again so I retyped it all in. Now it is asking me to pay again with his but I have already paid. What am I supposed to do, it is stopping me from sending my husbands claim through? I do not want to overpay. I did not want a joint account, it never gave me a choice.

I did not want a joint account, it never gave me a choice.

Even on a combined spousal account, both returns must be paid for.  It states this in the instructions.  The only difference spousal accounts makes is to make it easier to deal with the deductions based on household income, and pension splitting.

I know they both have to be paid for but I have already paid for mine when I did my own claim. When I did his it wants me to pay for mine again. I guess it went through as a spousal account which I was unaware of now it won't let me change anything. I cannot send my husbands through because I am not paying for mine again. What can I do to only pay for his?

Since both returns are paid for individually, you should be able to pay for your husbands return, and then just ignore your own.  The other method would be to start over, redo your husband's return as an individual, and send it off on its own. This might be the best option as the program has made decisions based on spousal returns that may not be compatible with your return.