Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completing my 16 year olds taxes with an income of 6700 and no other deductions? why is turbo tax charging me for a simple return?

3 Replies
Moussi2

Completing my 16 year olds taxes with an income of 6700 and no other deductions? why is turbo tax charging me for a simple return?

Tax for free is for simple returns and covers many common tax situations, including:

• Employment income
  • Pension income
  • Other employment income, such as tips
  • RRSP contributions
  • Child care expenses
  • COVID-19 benefits and repayments
  • Unemployment (EI) and social assistance
  • Worker’s compensation
  • Disability amount
  • Worker’s benefit
  • Amount for eligible/infirm dependents
  • Tuition, scholarships, bursaries, grants, and student loan interest
  • Caregiver tax credit
  • Disability transfer
  • Home accessibility tax credit
  • Tax on RESPs and RDSPs
  • Tax installment payments
  • Age amount

Income, credits, and deductions not listed above aren’t covered by TurboTax Free this year. Visit our online tax software page to see the available options for more complex returns.

Since your daughter 25 or younger, for $15 or file her 2023 tax return for free using any TurboTax Online product by using this link: Who can file for free using TurboTax? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

This was not the issue.

It appears that the issue was that I had purchased deluxe for myself and my husband and had it installed.  As a result it forced me to use one of those returns even though it was not required.    I ended up having to create  another Turbo Tax account to do hers but was unable to transfer information from her last return to this years. 

I also helped a friend with her son's filing (student with less than $10k in earnings) but because we wanted to report a small cash job ($500) it defaulted to a self-employment return and forced me to use a deluxe return as well.  

It really seems the TurboTax is nickel and diming more this year than ever for low-income filers.  I will have to re-evaluate the software I choose for next year.

These issues definitely need to be addressed.

This year with TurboTax anyone under 25 can Get taxes done with expert help—for $15 or less.

This should be reflected on the payment page before filing. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.