Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPP disabilty T4A(P) AND child received T4A(p) who is 15 years old. Does the parent claim this amount or does this amount go under the childs income?

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

CPP disabilty T4A(P) AND child received T4A(p) who is 15 years old. Does the parent claim this amount or does this amount go under the childs income?

This would be considered the childs income. When  you claim your child as a dependent- in the deduction section of your return it will ask more information about your children- It will ask if they have income- you would put "Yes" then under the Net Income- enter the amount shown on the T4A(P) slip. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

Thank you for the clarification.  Made a big difference in the tax return as well. Appreciate the help

You're welcome.

9 Replies

This would be considered the childs income. When  you claim your child as a dependent- in the deduction section of your return it will ask more information about your children- It will ask if they have income- you would put "Yes" then under the Net Income- enter the amount shown on the T4A(P) slip. 

Thank you for the clarification.  Made a big difference in the tax return as well. Appreciate the help

You're welcome.

Maya-K
Returning Member

Hi, I have the same concern. However, TurboTax did not ask me about my child's income...perhaps because I had imported information from last year? How do I enter this information so it is reflected on my return? If I add it under Dependant's summary, nothing changes.

Federal net income (T1 - Line 23600)

Thank you.

You do not enter the T4A(P) on your return- you will go to Deductions- then Additional Dependent Information. This is where you will say their income is not Zero- and enter the amount in the space provided. 

Maya-K
Returning Member

Hi Brenda,

I do not have those options. I am using TurboTax Standard 2023.

I have 

Deductions & Credits then Dependants Profile. But there is nowhere there to enter their income. Could you share a screenshot of what you see?

Thank you.

Here is a great TurboTax article: Why All Working Children Should File A Tax Return

Please contact the CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281, they will advise you at age 15 what they should do.

Maya-K
Returning Member

Hi Brenda, my child is well under 15 and I've spoken with CRA. Is there another post or number with TurboTax to advise how to declare their income under dependants in TurboTax? I know HR block has a simple process for that but I've already purchased your software. 

Thanks

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.