Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sevbatz101
Returning Member

CRA Autofill information "name" not exactly the same from copies I received in the mail or printed from online

Hello,

This is my first year using TurboTax and I'm using the CRA Autofill feature since I have a My Account with CRA.

I noticed on my T4 and T4A that the "Employer's name" (from T4) and the "Payer's name" (from T4A slips) that are available on the CRA and the same copies I have on the slips I either got from the mail or I downloaded from online (not CRA) do not list the same 'name'.

For example, I was a University student in 2019 so two of the T4A slips I received had an amount in the Box 105 (Scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, and artists' project grants, and prizes). But for payer's name for one of them, it said "Canada Student Loans Program" but the one in my CRA My Account says "THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA LE GOUVERNEMENT DU CANADA". Same thing for the other T4A slip and also my T4 slip.

Also, the T2202 slip auto-filled from my CRA account in the "Name of Educational institution" is blank (and I can't edit it) but the slip I downloaded from my school's website has the name of my school. 

So my two questions are - does the "name" need to come from the copies I downloaded (not from the CRA website) or received in the mail or as long as the amount/s match, it doesn't really matter? Also, if I already selected "auto-fill my return" from the CRA on my current tax return, can I just disable this and include the slips on my own?

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded question. 

4 Replies

CRA Autofill information "name" not exactly the same from copies I received in the mail or printed from online

The names on the slips don't really matter. They are just for information purposes. Only the box numbers and the amounts in them are used in tax calculations.

Honeybee5

What should I do if the T3 slip I received in the mail has different amounts recorded for Boxes 25 and 34, compared with the amounts downloaded from the CRA website via MyAccount? (Many thanks in advance).

@Honeybee5 If one of the T3 slips say that they are "Amended" (report type code “A.”), then you would use that one. If not, contact whoever issued the slip to ask which one is the correct one.

Honeybee5

Aha. I've just realized the CRA download made a second T3 slip so added together, the amounts in Boxes 25 and 34 equal what had been recorded in the T3 slip mailed out to me. All is well!