Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently, my Net Employment Earnings (sum of gross earnings) does not equal the sum of my T4 line 14's. It did in previously years. Should I see a discrepancy?

The Net Employment Earnings line in TurboTax when reviewing income shows the sum of the gross earnings reported by entered T4's. When I manually add the T4 totals, there is about a $20 difference between the values from my T4s (from line 14) and the total reported by TurboTax. Why is there a discrepancy when in multiple previous years these matched?
2 Replies

Currently, my Net Employment Earnings (sum of gross earnings) does not equal the sum of my T4 line 14's. It did in previously years. Should I see a discrepancy?

This is a re-worded question I had asked but where I had not gotten a sufficient answer. I found out near the end of the return process (in the Review section) that TurboTax entered a GST Rebate from my 2021 return in Line 10400 of the tax forms. I found this by selecting the line for help and (as suggested): - Using the Find feature on TurboTax - searching "Income not reported on a t-slip" - Select "Income not reported on a t-slip" from the list, and selecting Go. This led to a list of items under Employment Status. The pertinent item was: "Claimed a GST rebate in tax year 2021. Do not confuse this with the GST credit. You must include the rebate amount as income in tax year 2022." This led to the GST I had claimed for professional dues payment in 2021. The GST amount equals the discrepancy in earnings I found. The CRA's definition of this as Other employment income isn't the best, but TurboTax could help by spelling it out as a separate line item earlier in the process.

Thank you for your feedback and we will be sure to let the proper team know.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.