Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between TurboTax and Express NOA

Hello, I have just filed my 2023 taxes in Canada using TurboTax Online Self-Employed, according to TurboTax I had a balance owing of $5473.48. When I submitted my NetFile, within a few seconds I got the "Express Notice of Assessment" in which it says I have to pay taxes of $6198.46.  Within this Express Notice of Assessment, there is also a paragraph which says "We changed your total payable from $6,649.16 to $7,363.99 because of a calculation error."  All 4 of these numbers are different - $5473.48 (According to TurboTax), $6198.46 (According to top section of Express NOA),  $6,649.16 (mentioned in paragraph of Express NOA), and ($7,363.99 mentioned in paragraph of Express NOA as a change due to "calculation error").  Which one do I need to pay?  Why are these numbers different?  Why does TurboTax have a mistake and is different?  Thanks!

5 Replies

You would have to wait until you get your full Notice Of Assessment to see what the CRA changed. If you do find a calculation error made by TurboTax, you can contact our phone support team and ask to submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee.

Hi Susan, which amount should I pay to the CRA for now? I have transferred the amount mentioned by TurboTax the moment I did my NetFile ($5,473.48), but on the Express NOA it says $6,198.46.  Should I transfer the difference now (before Apr 30 deadline) or wait until I get the actual Notice of Assessment in a few weeks's time?  And what does it mean by "We changed your total payable from $6,649.16 to $7,363.99 because of a calculation error."? I thought that Turbotax guarantees that there are no calculation errors?  Thanks! 

I would pay the additional amount so that you don't incur any interest or penalties.

I don't know why the CRA made changes to your return - again you would have to look at your full NOA when you get it to see what was changed and why. If it does turn out to be a TurboTax error, you can contact our phone support team and ask to submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee.

I just got the exact same issue from the CRA.

TurboTax does all the calculations, we just enter the data.

How the CRA can instantly say you owe us more definitely casts doubt on the trustworthiness of TurboTax.

Once you receive your NOA, please compare the line numbers to what you entered on your income tax return. The NOA will advise what was missed. 

Guarantees you can be sure of.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.