Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lebrown1

Do I have to upgrade for self-employment income this year? Did not have to in previous years, and really prefer the simple form in standard version.

Just want to know if I can just keep the standard version still, with the one-page T2125, and not have to upgrade only to have to answer tedious multiple pages to produce the same form... Thank you!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to upgrade for self-employment income this year? Did not have to in previous years, and really prefer the simple form in standard version.

If you want to use TurboTax Standard CD/Download to enter your self-employment information, then you can. It still has everything that was in the program last year.

If you want to use TurboTax Deluxe Online (formerly Standard) for 2021, you will not be able to enter self-employment income/expenses. You would need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed Online, which has the extra pages for the T2125 section. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you want to use TurboTax Standard CD/Download to enter your self-employment information, then you can. It still has everything that was in the program last year.

If you want to use TurboTax Deluxe Online (formerly Standard) for 2021, you will not be able to enter self-employment income/expenses. You would need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed Online, which has the extra pages for the T2125 section. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

lebrown1

So helpful! Thank you!

spski
Returning Member

I purchased the deluxe online edition and then was informed I needed Premier. Now I am paying for both!! It won't deduct the cost I already paid with deluxe

@spski 

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

so now for reporting 500 self-employment, I have to pay more than $100! Ridiculous! Another company is free. 

I had used Turbo Tax forever.  

In 2022 I filed with "Wealthsimple Tax" and liked it.  Easy to navigate.  And it is free.  

Checked calculations with Turbo Tax and got the same answer.  

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/tax