Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joongsoo

Extra charge for filling togther

I have been using TurboTax software every year, but I have noticed an extra fee for filing jointly with my spouse, which I have never seen in previous years. This charge is not mentioned on the box or online; it is a hidden fee. I have already spent $80 for the premier version.

I am very disappointed with TurboTax; I might use different tax software next year.
7 Replies

Preparing a return with a spouse/partner counts as two returns, and has always done so. In the past there was a discount in TurboTax Online for the second return, but that has not been the case for several years now.

joongsoo

I can file 12 returns with Premier. I was able to file with my spouse without any extra fee previously. I have filed this way for many years!! I am just up set that this additional charge was not disclosed upfront.

Were you using TurboTax CD/Download in previous years? With TurboTax CD/Download, preparing a return with a spouse/partner still counts as two returns, but you pay for 12 returns upfront.

With TurboTax Online you pay per return, if you haven't bought a multi-return code from a 3rd party retailer.

joongsoo

I understand that with TurboTax Online, you pay per return, but I have the downloaded version. I don't think many of your staff are aware of the recent change regarding the NEW charge for couples filing together to receive optimized tax deductions.
I am certain that you will receive many complaints about this new charge.

Did you add Assist & Review or Audit Defense to the returns? Because those would be extra charges.

Kinjerski

I purchased the Premier Online edition (with 12 returns) from a third party and it still says that I have to pay $48 more to do a joint return with my spouse. How do I override this?

@Kinjerski Did you add Assist & Review or Audit Defense to the returns? Because those would be extra charges not included in your Premier package.

Also, if you or your spouse had rental or self-employment income, then you would require the Self-employment version of TurboTax Online, so you would need to pay the difference for the upgrade.