Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I am looking for a summary page showing the average and marginal rates of taxation. Where can I find this ?

2 Replies

Hello, I am looking for a summary page showing the average and marginal rates of taxation. Where can I find this ?

To find the Marginal Tax Rate, please follow these steps:

1. Write down the Refund/Tax Owing amount that TurboTax displays on your screen.
  2. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) and type other income into the search field.
  3. Select Other Income Sources from the options that appear, and then select Go.
  4. At Amount, enter 100.00, then select Continue. TurboTax adjusts your Refund/Tax Owing amount based on this additional $100 of income.
  5. Write down your new Refund/Tax Owing amount.
  6. Your marginal tax rate is the difference between these two amounts.

Important: Remember to delete the additional $100 of income before you file your return.

Note: Your average tax rate is not the same as your marginal tax rate. Your average tax rate is the amount you pay in taxes, divided by your income. Your marginal tax rate is the rate at which your next dollar of income will be taxed.

The rates are determined each year by the federal and provincial governments. Together, these rates form the combined rate.

For more information please see:

What is my marginal tax rate?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us

johnruby

Do you mean to tell me with this fancy tax program, sold to 1000s of people, is not designed by at least one person who has thought of displaying the marginal and average tax rate up in the summary part of the screen just under the amount owing or refund value.

Back in the old days when I used to buy a CD it used to show both those tax rate, which was very valuable.

Maybe on your next round of improvements they can add that basic piece of tax knowledge to the application.

As an aside, 

I do love the proposed manual solution, which seems to be to do a quick "what if" and manually add $100 more on your the return, then let it calculate the difference, so I can go back and look at the summary again to figure the rate out for yourself.   Oh and you need to manually go back and take the extra income out.  Who would have guessed that providing the Marginal Tax rate is probably important to someone.

yes I am a little annoyed.